Formal Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Blackstone,


My name is Edmond Soon, and I am introducing myself as a current civil engineering student at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), having graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) with a diploma in sustainable urban design and engineering.


Since my youth, I have been profoundly fascinated by science, especially in understanding the 'hows,' which has fueled my ambition to become a biomedical student dedicated to helping people. Despite my strong desire, my academic results fell short of the requirements. However, this setback guided me towards a new path in civil engineering, where I discovered an alternative means to fulfill my aspiration. Civil engineering empowers me to contribute to society by constructing structures, including shelters, homes, and hospitals, impacting lives through the built environment.


Regarding communication, previously in NP, I showcased my active listening skills throughout my term as the Vice President of DE Society. I consistently listened to diverse perspectives and provided constructive feedback. This was particularly evident in my contributions to improving event planning strategies, specifically in organizing student bonding events. However, acknowledging a need for improvement in public speaking skills became apparent during a recent class presentation. Challenges I faced in articulating ideas effectively, even in smaller groups, prompted me to proactively seek development opportunities to enhance my confidence in conveying ideas to diverse audiences.


For this module, my specific goals are to refine technical writing for clarity and enhance general public speaking. I am confident that the knowledge acquired will prove invaluable for my future career, ensuring practical applicability and significance in the workforce.


What sets me apart is my unique journey into civil engineering. Although my initial aspiration was different, overcoming academic challenges underscored my resilience and adaptability. This distinctive journey enhances my problem-solving approach and contributes to the diversity of perspectives I bring to the field, thereby enriching my overall learning experience.


Yours sincerely, 

Edmond Soon Zijian (Mr)

Comments

  1. Hi, Edmond Your letter clearly states your goal to improve yourself and describes how you plan to put those improvements to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time reading my post! Appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. This is a clear and good letter Edmond. By sharing your past experiences, you have illustrated both of your strength and weakness which makes your letter interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate you taking time to read my post and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Dear Edmond,

    Thank you for this highly detailed, informative letter. In it you not only address the key areas of the brief but you do so with clarity in expression and depth of development. I like the way you provide a full description of your educational journey, personal experiences and character , all of this in sum painting a clear image of your "resilience and adaptability," and a sense of your broader social goals.

    Language wise this is a fluent effort, but there is one sentence that warrants review:
    However, acknowledging a need for improvement in public speaking skills became apparent during a recent class presentation. > (What became apparent?)

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Professor Blackstone,

      Thank you for your kind words and feedback on my letter. I'm glad to hear that you found it detailed and informative.

      Regarding the sentence you highlighted, I apologize for any confusion. What became apparent during the recent class presentation was my recognition of the need for improvement in my public speaking skills. I should have made that clearer in my letter.

      I appreciate your understanding and patience as I continue to refine my communication abilities. I'm eager to delve deeper into the upcoming term and share more about myself and my aspirations with you.

      Best regards,

      Edmond

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Reader Response Draft 4: PPE Detection with Computer Vision and AI (V3 Smart Techonology)

Contributions to the Research Project: GuardianEyes