Critical Reflection - Edmond Soon
Module Learning
Throughout the weeks that I attended USC1001, I experienced a significant shift in my perspective. At the onset of the module, we were tasked with an assignment known as the formal introductory letter. Within this letter, I outlined two specific goals for myself: improving the clarity of my technical writing skills and enhancing my general public speaking abilities. Over the course of the module, I was presented with numerous opportunities to write, and the feedback I received provided valuable insights into enhancing clarity and refining my grammar. Additionally, I had the opportunity to serve as the speaker for our project, which greatly contributed to the development of my public speaking skills. Even though I have made significant improvements during the oral presentation for the project, there are still improvements to be made.
This module has encouraged me to analyze and evaluate my own writing and speaking skills critically. I have learned to identify strengths and weaknesses in my work, as well as to seek out constructive feedback to facilitate improvement. Additionally, I have become more adept at recognizing biases and assumptions in my thinking, allowing me to approach tasks with a more open and analytical mindset.
To further improve, I will continue to practice writing and speaking regularly. Seeking out public speaking opportunities and feedback from peers will be crucial. I aim to deepen my understanding of critical thinking through additional resources. Continuous learning and self-reflection will drive further enhancement of my communication and critical thinking skills.
Project Learning
Embarking on my research project, I placed a significant focus on refining my presentation skills. Initially, I viewed presentations primarily as a means of delivering information effectively. However, this experience provided me with a broader understanding, revealing that effective presentation skills encompass various nuanced approaches.
I learned that successful presentations are not only about imparting information but also about engaging and connecting with the audience. This requires not just clear and organized content but also dynamic delivery techniques such as vocal variation, gestures, and maintaining eye contact.
Preparation and rehearsal emerged as pivotal factors in delivering a compelling presentation. By thoroughly researching the topic and meticulously planning the structure, I was able to convey my message with confidence and coherence. Additionally, practicing the delivery allowed me to refine my speaking style and identify areas for improvement.
I also recognized the significant impact of visual aids in enhancing the effectiveness of presentations. Incorporating relevant and visually appealing slides or props facilitated better comprehension and retention of key points, making the presentation more memorable for the audience.
Moreover, this project underscored the importance of adaptability and resilience during presentations. Despite thorough preparation, unforeseen challenges or technical issues could arise. Learning to remain composed under pressure and adapt to unexpected circumstances enabled me to maintain audience engagement and effectively convey my message.
Through this experience, I gained valuable insights into my strengths and weaknesses as a presenter. While I demonstrated proficiency in organizing content and engaging the audience, I identified areas for improvement in managing nerves and refining delivery techniques.
Furthermore, this project reshaped my perception of learning, emphasizing the significance of experiential learning and continuous improvement. Going forward, I am committed to applying the lessons learned to further refine my presentation skills, prioritizing preparation, engagement, adaptability, and resilience as essential components of effective presentations.
Comments
Post a Comment